Black and White Interlock

Hello Lovelies!  This week's Nail Art Nation prompt is black and white.  Since you can't have one without the other, I thought an interlocking design would be perfect for this prompt.  I have done this pattern once before Interlocking Dot Nail Art, and it is relatively easy to create...


Materials I used:
Basecoat - SuperChic Lacquer 'Bring it On!'
White polish - Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear 'White On'
Black polish - Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear 'Black Out'
Quick drying topcoat - SuperChic Lacquer 'Marvel'
Scotch tape
Dotting tools
Holo topper - Dream Polish 'Dream Dust'

I began with a white canvas.  When doing an overlapping design it is best to start with the lightest color or the thinnest polish for your base.  Of course, I don't recommend using a thin polish for an overlapping design, but sometimes you have a polish that you just have to use.  I topped this with a quick drying topcoat.


When the base color was dry, I taped off half of my nail at an angle, painted it black, and immediately removed the tape.  Using a medium/large dotting tool I interlocked the black and white by placing black dots on the edge of the black overlapping into the white, and likewise with the white.  Switching to a smaller size dotting tool I placed a dot of each color in line with the previous dot.  Lastly, I did that with an even smaller dotting tool, filling in any voided area but still keeping it in line with the other dots.  I repeated this pattern on all my nails, but alternated the black and the white on each nail.

After a bit of clean up with acetone and a brush, I topped it  with a holo topcoat.  Dream Polish Gem Glam topcoat also happens to be a quick drying topcoat, so no need to apply another topcoat.


And here is a macro shot so that you can see that holo bling, I only added one coat because I wanted a very subtle holo affect.  More coats would have increased the holo factor but I like it just like this...


I really enjoy creating the interlocking design because it seems so complex, yet is very easy.  This design is perfect for a beginner, and requires only basic tools.  I hope you enjoyed this nail art design, see you next time.




Your Fellow Plebe,