Outline Flower over Gradient

Hello Lovelies!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, I hope you had an opportunity to spend some quality time with your mother and/or children.  I had an exceptional day!  My two year old who usually likes to get up with the sun decided to give me some quiet time in the morning and slept in, which gave me time to create this nail art design.  I created this for this week's Freehand challenge on Instagram, the prompt was a freehand design over a gradient.  If you've read the last few posts I've made involving gradients you know that gradient designs are my new favorite thing, so I was excited and ready for this prompt.  This is what I came up with...


Materials I used:
Base coat: Seche Vite
White Undie: Sinful Color 'Snow Me White'
Three polishes for gradient: China Glaze 'Lotus Begin,' 'Grass is Lime Greener,' & 'Thistle Do Nicely'
Glitter topper: China Glaze 'Fairy Dust'
Latex mani mask: Ellagee 'Lickity Split Latex Mani Mask'
Makeup sponge
Black nail art striper
Top coat: Rica 'Glossy Glam'


I prepped my fingers with a white base polish to make my colors brighter and applied my mani mask for easier clean up.  Remember, when using a latex mask, don't allow your fingers to touch together where the latex is.  It will stick to itself and most likely pull off, like it is between my pinky and ring fingers.


I then did a sponge gradient of light purple, green, and a neon orangy (almost pink shade).  It took me four sponge coats to get the opacity that I wanted.  I really like how these colors blended because it creates an almost rainbow affect.


After removing my mask and performing a small bit of clean up I applied a glitter topper, 'Fairy Dust,' over the gradient.


I was quit content with this gradient and the 'Fairy Dust' that I would have been more than happy to leave it here.  However, this was to be the base for this week's Freehand challenge and so it is.  I decided to do a simple flower outline over this gradient.  I used a black nail art striper and started the flower by drawing a half circle in the corner of my nail.  I outlined that with a second circle, then drew three petals extending from the circle.  I drew petals between the full petals and then finished off the flower by drawing a grid in the center and triangle-like shapes on the full petals for dimension.


I repeated this flower design on all my nails only changing the orientation of the flowers.


I did some light clean up and then added my new favorite top coat Rica 'Glossy Glam' after giving the flowers a few minutes to dry.


I was a little worried that the flowers would take away from the gradient, but I think they turned out quit well.  In fact, I am absolutely in love with this nail art design.  I know I've said that about designs in the past but I really don't want to take this one off.  I am hoping it will last for a few days at least.


I am really enjoying the freehand challenge so far.  Those of you who are keeping track, the first prompt of this months Freehand Challenge on Instagram was actually cartoon.  I did create a nail art design for this but not a blog post.  I did post pictures on Instagram, so if you are interested in seeing that nail art design checkout my Instagram feed and look for my Perry the Platypus nails.  If you are interested in trying out this challenge the prompts are listed at the very bottom of this post.  It's never to late to start, and I highly recommend this challenge to all skill levels.


I really do hope you like this nail art design and found the pictorials helpful.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.

Your Fellow Plebe,