Syrup Gradient

Hello Lovelies!  Sorry it has been a bit since I last posted.  Last week was very busy, additionally I suffered from some serious cranial gas and completely forgot to do a mani for the Nail That Technique: Syrup Gradient challenge on Instagram.  This week's challenge is Sheer Base, so I combined the two and this is what I came up with...


The syrup gradient is the absolute easiest type of gradient to create and it doesn't require any sponges or tools.  You simple need a sheer or slightly translucent polish to create this look.

I used China Glaze's 'Choo-Choo Choose You' (from the All Aboard collection).  This is a semi-transparent polish, unfortunately I do not own any sheer tints so I thought this would do just fine.  To create the syrup gradient, apply the polish in thin layers.  Start with a rough French tip, it doesn't have to be perfect.  Continue adding layers, with each layer start the application a little higher up the nail.  I recommend allowing each layer to dry before applying the next layer.  If you apply the next layer without letting the previous one dry, it gets goopy and pulls the layer underneath which looks messy.


For my accent nail (ring finger), I started off with Butter London's 'Nail Foundation' just to give my nail a clean consistent texture and hide my yellowed nail.  I then used a large dotting tool and Sinful Colors 'Black on Black' to create a couple of simple five-point flower.  I then used a medium dotting to and created an overlapping flower with my purple polish.  I filled in the void spots with small dots using a small dotting tool and the same purple polish.

 
I then performed a little clean up and applied my favorite top coat.  I decided while I was applying my top coat to add some small black rhinestones I had, to the centers of my flowers.
 


The syrup gradient was incredibly easy, there are only a few pointers I can provide to help make it even easier for you. Its important to apply the polish in thin layers because it starts to get much thicker with each layer you add.  The longer your nails are the more layers that you are likely to apply.  My nails are fairly short and I did four layers, however the more you gap the layers the fewer you will need to do.  Also, It is very important to give each layer ample time to dry.  You might have noticed some weird spots on some of my syrup gradient nails, this is because I did not let the layers dry enough before applying the next.


Before, this Nail That Technique challenge I had no clue what a syrup gradient was, but I am so happy to have figured it out and tried it.  It is so easy to create, and now I know what to do with all those polishes that I have complained were too shear.  I can see many more syrup gradients in my future.  I also like how the sheer base accent nail contrasts the darker nails.  All in all this is a good mani.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will give this a try.  I seriously have not tried a nail art design any easier than this one.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.

 
Your Fellow Plebe,
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Syrup Gradient @ Nails Art Proudly Powered by Blogger