Negative Space and Fanbrush

Hello Lovelies!  I know it has been about a week since I last posted any new nail art.  I took some time to hang out with family and friends, it was a whirlwind weekend and I'm just getting caught up.  I created this manicure for last week's Freehand Challenge fanbrush prompt (better late than never, I suppose)...


To be honest, I really didn't know what to create for the fanbrush prompt but I really wanted to do a negative space manicure.  It has been awhile since I have created one so I thought it was time.

Materials I used
Base coat - INM Ridge Free
Binder reinforcement dots
White base polish - Color Club 'Blank Canvas'
Liquid Latex - Ellagee 'Lickity Split Mani Mask'
Fanbrush polishes - Color Club 'Midnight Mulberry,' 'New-tral,' & 'Get a Mauve On It'
Fanbrush
Top coat - I. A.M...Custom Color 'Diamond PRO'


I started this look off with my INM Ridge Free base coat.  This base coat is great for negative space and French tip nail art designs because it is pink.  Not to mention that it is a ridge filler so if you have ridged nails like I do they will even out those perfections easily.  You can see on my ring finger some striations (the darker vertical lines on my tip)  these are actually ridges that go all the way up my nail, but you can see the ridge filler makes my nail nice and even.


Using binder reinforcements  I covered different areas of my nail.  I then painted my white base color and immediately removed the reinforcements.


I used the reinforcement dots in different positions on each of my fingers to creating interesting negative spaces on each one.  I would have been happy to leave it here, but this is for the fanbrush prompt so I continued on.


At this point you could wait for the white base coat to dry or apply a quick drying top coat and reapply reinforcements to cover the negative space.  However, because this is for the Freehand Challenge I felt I needed to do more freehand with this design.  After giving the white a little time to dry, I used liquid latex to protect the skin around my nail and to fill in the voided areas.  With the negative space covered, I layered three shades of polish by swiping the fanbrush in different direction with each color, horizontally, vertically, and diagonally.  (Follow pictures from the top right, down, then across the bottom.  The larger picture in the top left is the finished design.)


Once satisfied with the brushing remove all the latex, perform a bit of clean with acetone and a brush, and apply a topcoat.


I'm glad I decided to go with softer slightly more neutral colors for this nail art design, I feel it compliments the negative space nicely.  I also liked using the reinforcement dots, creating interesting curved lines was a good change.  The design on my pinky is my favorite.  Do you have a favorite?


I really hope that I can create a few more nail art designs for you this week, but we will have to see what my schedule will bring.  I'm sure many of you will agree that having responsibilities can be a pain.  I appreciate you taking the time to take a peek at my blog. I hope you enjoyed this design, and found the tutorial useful.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.

 
 Your Fellow Plebe,