Nebula Inspired Nail Art

Hello Lovelies!  If you read my last post you have heard about the new Google+ community Nail Art Nation.  One of the great attributes of this community, in addition to its general awesomeness, is that they offer a weekly prompt to help inspire your creative whims.  These prompts might come in the form of an image, a song, a quote or anything inspiring.  This week's prompt was this image of Orion Nebula...


To me this is a very beautiful image, and I wasn't really sure what I was going to do exactly.  I decided that I wanted to try a couple of new to me techniques and see what I could come up with.  What I came up with didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped but I thought it was pretty neat, none the less...


Materials I used
INM Ridge Free
Ellagee 'Lickity Split Liquid Latex Mani Mask'
China Glaze 'Don't Honk Your Thorn' (tan)
China Glaze 'Rainbow' (translucent iridescent)
China Glaze 'Spring in My Step' (light pink)
China Glaze 'Petal to the Metal' (medium pink)
China Glaze 'Beach Cruise-r' (bright pink)
China Glaze 'New Birth' (pale blue grey)
China Glaze 'Towel Boy Toy' (bright teal)
Revlon Top Speed 'Black Star' (black)
Saran wrap
Cup of filter room temperature water
Spray (perfume)
Beauty Plus Salon topcoat

The first technique I used was the saran wrap (plastic baggie) smoosh technique.  I prepped my fingers by apply a latex mani mask on the skin around my nails, and a single coat of a nude base polish.  I applied a second coat of base polish and while it was still wet I dropped various other colors of polish on top.  I then smooshed the polishes with a piece of saran wrap.  I quickly learned that you do not want to over work this because you may end up with bare spots in some places.  I ended up doing this process a couple of times on some nails because I ended up with bare spots.


Once I was satisfied with my saran wrap smooshed nails, used what I like to think of as the turquoise watermarble nail technique.  I dropped black polish, roughly five drops in room temperature filtered water and then spritzed it with some perfume to break it up.  I then chose the most interesting areas and dipped my finger(s).



I then removed my latex mani mask, performed some clean up with acetone and a brush, and topped it off with a nice shiny topcoat.


My goal was to start with a light color scheme on my thumb, and brighten/darken colors as I went across my hand to reflect the color change across the nebula picture.  You can see this more clearly in the very first picture of this mani on this post up above.


Even though this didn't turn out exactly the way I envisioned I think they look really neat.  They remind me more of graffiti than they do of the nebula but I like the colors and the way they transition across my hand.  I'm also glad I got to try some techniques I had never used before too.  I hope you found this nail art and tutorial interesting.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.

Your Fellow Plebe,